I love that pinterest gives me the inspiration to be creative and make delicious dinners. This time I had a lightbulb moment after seeing a meatball appetizer and an open face sandwich recipe next to one another. I crafted this little gem with a little help from allrecipes.com. I loved the crunchy whole wheat bread with cheesy chicken meatballs. I topped mine with buffalo sauce and perry took jalapeños on his. This recipe is a must try and I encourage trying different toppings. Perry gave these 5 stars and here is why:
“Kels nailed this one and I couldn’t hardly wait for the left overs. I usually find meatballs made with beef to taste kind of greasy so I liked that the chicken ones were not greasy, adding to the overall flavor. I snuck a taste of the meatballs before Kelsey made subs and I think they are delicious on their own, maybe with a sweet sauce to offset the jalapeño heat. Overall these were delicious and it seemed like Kelsey didn’t really make a mess of the kitchen. I give them full stars!”
Serves: 5 Calories: 260 (this varies depending on your bread/roll) Time: 45 minutes
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup of whole wheat breadcrumbs or panko crumbs
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, one diced and one sliced if you want to use it as topping
- 1- 8 oz block of sharp cheddar, divided half shredded and half sliced
- Whole wheat bread or rolls
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Spray a large baking dish or rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl combine the ground chicken with salt, pepper, egg, bread crumbs, garlic cloves, chopped jalapeño and the grated cheddar. Mix thoroughly to combine. Roll into small/med meatballs. Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Slice your rolls lengthwise. Place 3-4 meatballs in each roll, then cover with sliced cheddar.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes
- OPTIONAL: Broil to brown the cheese. I wouldn’t do this because I personally don’t like to eat burnt bread….
- Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
*Photo is an original belonging to me
*Recipe is adopted from allrecipes.com