It’s that lovely time of year when pintrest is FILLED with seasonal soup/stew recipes. I came across this fantastic recipe from http://www.familyfreshmeals.com and knew it would be my first soup of the season. Seriously, who wouldn’t love a cheeseburger inspired soup? My family loved it and I am certain we will be making it a few more times before winter is over. The flavor was described as “creamy cheeseburger.” Everyone had seconds and we still have left overs for lunch.
NOTE: Since we’ve moved back to Pennsylvania I have the added adventure of trying to tailor my recipes to fit my parents’ dietary needs. My dad is diabetic which is why you will now see Carb values, and my mom is doing weight watchers which is why you will now see the PointsPlus values. I hope these extra calculations I’m providing will help not only my parents but also anyone else who clicks on this blog with dietary needs. That being said, I am aware this is a “high carb”/”high points” recipe. Please, please, please change ingredients as you see fit. Substitute turkey for beef, turkey bacon for regular bacon, low fat cheese for shredded cheese, etc… I am making it as close to the original for the first time to gauge taste so in the future I can substitute things and see what I can change without sacrificing too much flavor.
Serves: 8+ Calories: 448 per serving Carbs: 39.5g per serving WW PointsPlus Value: 13 points per serving
Prep Time: 30 min Cook time: 7 hr (low) Total Time: 7hr 30m
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of celery, chopped
- 1 cup of carrots, sliced
- 2 cups of white potatoes, cubed
- 8 oz of cream cheese, cubed
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp back pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 package of bacon, cooked and crumbled to garnish (reserving a little bit of the grease to stir in for flavor)
- Sautee onions over medium high heat. Before they start to become translucent add your ground beef and cook until the meat is no longer pink in the middle.
- Add the onion/beef mixture to your crockpot along with the diced tomatoes, chicken broth, celery, carrots, potatoes, cream cheese, garlic, salt, pepper, basil, and parsley. Stir to mix the ingredients in together.
- Cook on low for 7 hours
- Before cooking time is up, fry up the bacon reserving a bit of the grease. Also, mix together the milk and flour until there are no lumps in the mixture. Add the bacon grease, flour/milk mixture, and shredded cheese.
- Continue to cook until the cheese is melted
- Spoon a healthy serving into bowls, garnish with bacon and anything else you would garnish your burger with
*Photo is an original belonging to me
**Original recipe found at http://www.familyfreshmeals.com