This is only my second attempt at cauliflower pizza, and this recipe will become a weekend staple in my home. The crust is fairly light and crunchy, the veggie spread is savory, and the toppings were a perfect pairing. I’ve already started thinking about other topping combinations and think that next I’m going to try sun dried tomatoes, spinach and artichoke hearts. My stomach is growling simply at the thought of it! The recipe you’ll find below is for the crust and veggie spread. I use the veggie spread as a sauce of sorts so if you would rather have sauce, skip the veggie spread ingredients and directions. Finish it off with our favorite toppings, and you’ll have a delicious and healthy pizza! I got this recipe from a magazine put out by my local grocery store, Ralphs.
Serves: 8 slices Time: 1 hour Calories: 146/slice (this does not count toppings)
Ingredients for Crust:
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 1/2 cup of shredded pizza blend cheese
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- any toppings you would like for your pizza. We used sliced red onion, black olives and cilantro.
Ingredients for Veggie Spread:
- 2 tbsp cooking oil, I used canola
- 3 medium/large zucchinis, shredded
- 1 carton of grape tomatoes, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, and line a baking sheet or pizza stone with parchment paper
- If you have a food processor, pulse the florets of cauliflower until finely chopped.
- If you don’t have a food processor, use a cheese grater to “rice” the cauliflower florets.
- Place the chopped/riced cauliflower into a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Once it is cool enough to handle, squeeze out moisture from the cauliflower with a clean towel. It will essentially make a ball of cauliflower.
- Transfer the “moisture-less” cauliflower to a large mixing bowl and stir in the pizza blend cheese, Parmesan, eggs, salt, onion powder and Italian seasoning.
- Spread this mixture onto your prepared baking sheet or pizza stone in a thin, 12-inch circle.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until the crust is firm and crisp at the edges.
- If you plan to use veggie spread instead of sauce, start preparing this while the crust is cooking (directions found below).
- Top with all your favorites and bake again until your toppings are melted and/or properly heated through.
Directions for Veggie Spread:
- Using a cheese grater, shred your zucchini.
- Heat 2 tbsp of cooking oil over medium-high and add the shredded zucchini, stirring frequently.
- After about 3 minutes of cooking the zucchini add the sliced grape tomatoes. Note, the juices from the tomatoes will make a paste like spread with the zucchinis. Cook for an additional 2 minutes until tomatoes start to wilt.
- Add in the sliced garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds until the fragrant.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and spread on your crust as if it was sauce after the first 30-minute bake.
- Top with your favorites and enjoy!
* Photo is an original belonging to me
*Recipe adapted from Ralphs