I do this thing where I scroll through pinterest and find a bunch of recipes that look AMAZING. That seems pretty normal, but I don’t stop there. I often cannot decide between recipes for the week’s menu so I take elements from a bunch of recipes and mash them together. That said, I took the heat and cheese from jalapeno popper recipe, and the sausage crumbles from a breakfast stuffed pepper recipe. Sometimes these recipe risks are epic fails, but other times they turn out so good that they make it to the blog. This is one of those times. These peppers are super savory and spicy, and the creamy cheese adds balance to bigger flavors. This is definitely going to be a frequent item on our dinner menu this summer.
Makes: 24 peppers Time: 30 minutes
- 12 large jalapenos
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook up sausage and crumble it with your spatula as it browns.
- Slice jalapenos in half and remove ribs and seeds.
- In a large bowl combine the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, onion powder and garlic powder. Once this mixture is combined well, fold in the cooked sausage.
- Scoop some of the sausage mixture into each sliced jalapeno.
- Set the filled jalapenos on a foil lined baking sheet and cook in the oven for approximately 15 minutes, or until the cheese is browned and peppers are tender.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
*Photo is an original belonging to me.
I’ve been craving everything buffalo sauce/hot wings. Last week I made baked egg rolls and had a lot of left over wrappers so I thought it would be pretty genius to try a buffalo chicken version of our favorite classic recipe. I did this on a whim and they came out amazing! I shared one with my neighbors and Laura said “I love the blue cheese crumble. It gives it that wang!” This recipe got great reviews across the board and I cannot wait to heat them up again tonight for dinner.
Serves: 5 (2 rolls per serving) Calories: 268.8/serving Time: 45 minutes (Prep + Cooking)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1 cup buffalo or hot wing sauce
- 1 cup coleslaw, uncooked
- 10 egg roll wrappers
- 2.5 oz blue cheese crumbles
- OPTIONAL: Blue cheese dressing
- Cook and shred your chicken breast
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Mix together shredded chicken and one cup of hot sauce
- Take a wrapper and place it in front of you in a “diamond position”, that is, a corner pointing towards you. In the middle of the wrapper line a small handful of coleslaw (a really really small handful) across the wrapper. Top the coleslaw with about 2-3 tbsp of the chicken mixture. Finally sprinkle a bit of the blue cheese crumble on top of the chicken. Take the pointed edge closest to you and fold it under the mixture then fold in the two sides. Roll it to the top and then seal the flap with a moist finger. Continue this process with the rest of your wrappers.
- Line the rolls on a baking sheet and spritz with cooking spray.
- Bake for 6 minutes then flip them to bake on the other side.
- Spray the other side with cooking spray and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Let cool for a minute and then garnish with more crumbles and serve
*Photo is an original belonging to me
**I made up this recipe on a whim, but welcome anyone who wants to publish it on their blog to do so. Just give me some credit 🙂