It is no big secret that I love to egg roll and wonton everything. Just scroll through this blog and you will see that I cook with wonton and egg roll wrappers quite a bit. That said, burgers are just one thing I’ve been apprehensive about “egg-rolling.” This recipe has been floating around Pinterest for quite some time, but it never truly appealed to me. Finally, one night I was scrolling through Pinterest when my husband saw it, and he HAD to have it. I will admit that he has great taste so I went with it. I’m glad I did because these egg rolls are delicious. They will likely be put in regular dinner rotation at my house. Now let’s get down to it. Although I’m not being paid to talk about it, the gourmet burger seasoning makes the beef super savory and sets these babies off! The diced pickles bring a crisp texture and the burger sauce is the perfect creamy “dip-able” addition. I like that the wrapper is filling enough to make this feel like an actual burger, but light enough to be able to eat two of these without guilt. I came into this recipe a skeptic and left ready for seconds. This recipe was adapted from Will Cook for Smiles which is another gorgeous recipe blog.
Time: Approximately 1 hour
Serves: 12 egg rolls
Ingredients for Egg Rolls:
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium/large yellow onion, chopped
- 1tbsp gourmet burger seasoning (I used Webers)
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 6 slices of cheese (this depends on what you like on your burger I used thinly sliced cheddar)
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet pickles
- egg roll wrappers
- 3 tbsp canola oil to brush over the egg rolls when baking
Ingredients for Burger Sauce:
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 Tsp tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove pressed
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- In a large pan heat the oil over medium. Add the onion and saute until translucent.
- Add in ground beef and cook until no longer pink.
- Remove the beef from heat and stir in the burger seasoning, salt/pepper, cheese, and sweet pickles.
- Once the cheese is melted through and the beef mixture is well-combined start assembling your egg rolls.
- If you are not used to assembling egg rolls here is a really helpful link to guide you. You will notice this video uses an egg wash which I don’t use. How to roll
- After rolling each one place them seam side down on a baking sheet. Brush the rolls with oil and bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- While the egg rolls are baking mix together all of the sauce ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Let the egg rolls cool for a minute than dish and enjoy!
- If you plan to have these as leftovers they should be reheated in the oven. It is possible to heat in the microwave but it is just not the same.
*Photo is an original belonging to me
Digital Recipe Card: