I’m late to the “get bikini ready” party. It is the end of June and I’m just now starting to worry about eating healthier, exercising more and ultimately looking decent this summer. Better late than never I always say! I was unsure of this soup at first because I am not a huge fan of cabbage unless it is in colcannon on St. Patrick’s Day. However I needed something to start me off right and everyone raves over cabbage soup. I have to say this recipe took me by surprise. It had a great flavor that was not overpowered by the cabbage. Also, my apartment did not stink as the cabbage cooked either which was a fear of mine. I was pleased with how easy and tasty this recipe ended up being. We had many meals, lunches and dinners, out of one batch. This recipe will make it into our soup rotation for sure! The original recipe can be found at http://www.sugarfreemom.com, but I did modify the ingredients a bit. I halved the amount of ground beef and upped the amount of veggies.
Serves: 9-12 Calories: about 290 per serving Time: 3.5 hours on high or 6.5 hours on low
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 16 oz jar of your favorite marinara sauce
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, riced
- 8 cups of beef broth
- 1 large head of cabbage
- Heat olive oil over high heat and sauté until soft.
- Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Add the garlic for 30 seconds or until fragrant
- Add the seasonings, cauliflower and marinara sauce to the beef and mix until combined.
- Add beef broth, cabbage, and beef mixture to your crockpot. Stir until combined
- Cover and cook for 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
*Photo is an original belonging to me
*Original recipe adapted from http://www.sugarfreemom.com