I’m always looking for new pasta recipes because it is so easy during the week to cook up some whole wheat pasta and a quick sauce. This recipe is just that. It is extremely easy and delicious to boot. The creamy sauce is rich but complimented nicely with crunchy veggies.
Serves: 8 Calories: 470 Time:
- Juice of one lemon
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 yellow bell pepper, rinsed ribbed and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, rinsed ribbed and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1.5 cups of frozen peas
- 1 lb whole wheat pasta (we used penne)
- 3 tbsp adobo sauce ( OPTIONAL: chop up and add a chipotle pepper or two to add additional heat)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- tortilla chips to top
- Cook pasta according to its package directions.
- Combine lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper in a bowl. Set aside
- Chop veggies and garlic
- Over medium high heat, heat a skillet and add butter and canola oil.
- Add peppers, onion and lemon/honey mixture. Cook for approximately 5 minutes (until onions become clear) stirring as not to burn the honey.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Add frozen peas, heavy cream and parmesan cheese. Cook until peas are heated through approximately 5 minutes
- Let simmer for a few minutes so sauce will thicken and add adobo sauce and optional chopped chipotle
- If you are making homemade tortilla chips now would be the time to do it.
- Dish your pasta and top with tortilla chips. We also sprinkled chipotle pepper powder on top. Can you tell we like it hot 🙂
- TIP : When reheating do it stovetop to protect the sauce from separating. Heat over medium flame and stir constantly. There is cheese in this recipe so it will burn if you do not keep a constant stir.
*Photo is an original belonging to me
*Original recipe adopted from http://mrsschwartzkitchen.blogspot.com/