I do this thing where I scroll through pinterest and find a bunch of recipes that look AMAZING. That seems pretty normal, but I don’t stop there. I often cannot decide between recipes for the week’s menu so I take elements from a bunch of recipes and mash them together. That said, I took the heat and cheese from jalapeno popper recipe, and the sausage crumbles from a breakfast stuffed pepper recipe. Sometimes these recipe risks are epic fails, but other times they turn out so good that they make it to the blog. This is one of those times. These peppers are super savory and spicy, and the creamy cheese adds balance to bigger flavors. This is definitely going to be a frequent item on our dinner menu this summer.
Makes: 24 peppers Time: 30 minutes
- 12 large jalapenos
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook up sausage and crumble it with your spatula as it browns.
- Slice jalapenos in half and remove ribs and seeds.
- In a large bowl combine the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, onion powder and garlic powder. Once this mixture is combined well, fold in the cooked sausage.
- Scoop some of the sausage mixture into each sliced jalapeno.
- Set the filled jalapenos on a foil lined baking sheet and cook in the oven for approximately 15 minutes, or until the cheese is browned and peppers are tender.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
*Photo is an original belonging to me.
I snagged this recipe from the Land o Lakes website. That’s right people I actually found a decent recipe off of a commercial brand’s website. I am willing to try my hand at anything inspired by jalapeño poppers. How could a recipe involving creamy, cheesy, spicy goodness go wrong?
These rolled tacos are amazing. There is really no other way to describe them. Their crispy baked shell add the perfect texture to a creamy filling. I went crazy with the jalapeños because we like spicy food so if you are not a big fan of heat I suggest using half of what this recipe calls for. These tacos are perfect for weeknights when time is tight as it doesn’t take very long to make. We finished with quite a few left overs, but keep in mind that only two of us were eating these. That said, if you have a larger family with older children you may want to double the recipe and stock your freezer with left overs. These are large rolled tacos, not your small 6 inch rolled street tacos. One of these with a side dish is more than enough to fill you up for dinner.
Makes: 10 rolled tacos Calories: 295 per rolled taco Time: 45 minutes
- 4 tbsp butter, divided
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1/4 cup of milk, I used 2%
- 1 (8oz) package of cream cheese
- 1 (12oz) jar jalapeños, drained and chopped finely
- 1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 10 flour tortillas
- Melt 2 tbsp of butter in a large pan. Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Add cooked chicken, milk, cream cheese and jalapeños. Mix together until the cream cheese is soft and all ingredients are well mixed.
- Turn off heat and stir in cheddar cheese.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread a thin layer of the chicken mixture over one half of each tortilla and roll it up tightly. Place each rolled taco on a baking sheet with the seam side down.
- Melt the remaining 2 tbsp of butter and brush a little over each taco.
- Bake for 7 minutes and remove from the oven to flip the tacos. Bake for an additional 7 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a minute or two before serving.
- Serve with your favorite side dish and enjoy!
*Photo is an original belonging to me
*Recipe adapted from http://www.landolakes.com
I love that pinterest gives me the inspiration to be creative and make delicious dinners. This time I had a light bulb moment after seeing a meatball appetizer and an open face sandwich recipe next to one another. I crafted this little gem with a little help from allrecipes.com. I loved the crunchy whole wheat bread with cheesy chicken meatballs. I topped mine with buffalo sauce and Perry took jalapeños on his. This recipe is a must try and I encourage trying different toppings.
Serves: 5 Calories: 260 (this varies depending on your bread/roll) Time: 45 minutes
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup of whole wheat breadcrumbs or panko crumbs
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, one diced and one sliced if you want to use it as topping
- 1- 8 oz block of sharp cheddar, divided half shredded and half sliced
- Whole wheat bread or rolls
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Spray a large baking dish or rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl combine the ground chicken with salt, pepper, egg, bread crumbs, garlic cloves, chopped jalapeño and the grated cheddar. Mix thoroughly to combine. Roll into small/med meatballs. Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Slice your rolls lengthwise. Place 3-4 meatballs in each roll, then cover with sliced cheddar.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes
- OPTIONAL: Broil to brown the cheese. I wouldn’t do this because I personally don’t like to eat burnt bread….
- Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
*Photo is an original belonging to me
*Recipe is adopted from allrecipes.com