I could tip-toe around quarantine and COVID-19 talk but that would be unfair to those who have suffered, died, or faced the beast on the frontlines. This is a recipe blog, but I feel it is important to pay respect to all of the aforementioned groups. Thank you to all the essential workers. You keep our world moving forward. From the cashier who rings up my groceries, to my sister and all healthcare workers who are helping patients find comfort, the thousands of families in mourning, and those who are currently fighting the virus in their bodies. You are all in my thoughts and most importantly in my prayers.
This week the shelves at my grocery store had more to offer and we were able to pull this recipe together. Two of the biggest missing players were pre-made pizza dough and fresh garlic bulbs. This recipe describes how we made our own pizza dough, but you can skip this step if you would rather purchase the dough already made.
Serves: comfortably serves 5-6. Time: 2h 27m if making your own dough; 1h 15m if using premade dough
Ingredients for Pizza Dough:
4 cups flour, plus more for rolling
1 teaspoon sugar
1 envelope instant dry yeast
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 cups water, approximately 110 degrees F
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 2 teaspoons
Ingredients for Pizza canoe:
- You can make your own pizza dough or you can purchase 1 lb. of ready-made pizza dough. Divide the dough in half.
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups of fresh spinach, stems removed
- 2 tablespoons + 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 (8 oz) bag of shredded pizza cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Marinara sauce to serve
Directions for pizza dough (Takes about 1hr 15min):
- Combine the flour, sugar, yeast and kosher salt in a bowl and combine.
- Add the water and 2 tablespoons of the oil and beat until the dough forms into a ball.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead into a smooth, firm ball.
- Grease a large bowl with the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil, add the dough, cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a tea towel and put it in a warm area to let it double in size, about 1 hour. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide it into 2 equal pieces. Cover each with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let them rest for 10 minutes.
Directions for pizza dough (Takes about 45min):
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, toss your bell peppers with 2 tsp of oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast the peppers in your oven for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and place them back into the bowl you seasoned them in. Cover the bowl for about 15 minutes.
- Once cooled peel as much of the skin off each pepper as you can, remove the stem, ribs, and seeds. Slice each pepper into thin strips. Set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the spinach and red pepper flakes. Toss to combine. Cook, stirring until the spinach is wilted.
- Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Roll out the first half of the pizza dough on a floured work surface. Form the dough into an oval shape, about 12-inches long by 7-inches wide.
- Spread half of the spinach mixture over the dough, leaving about 2 inches around the edges. Next, sprinkle 1/4 of the cheese on top. Add half of the roasted pepper strips on top followed by another 1/4 of the cheese. Next, add the rest of the spinach mixture followed by 1/4 of the cheese, then add the rest of the roasted peppers, and the last of the cheese.
- Roll out the second half of the pizza dough on a floured work surface. Make the dimensions as close to the other dough as possible. Drape this over top of the pizza and press together the edges of the top dough with the bottom dough.
- Use a sharp knife and cut 3 or 4, slices into the top of the pizza canoe to serve as air vents.
- Brush the top of the canoe with the remaining olive oil.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden on top. Remove from the oven and let stand for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving with your favorite marinara sauce
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!!
Digital Recipe Card:
*Photo is an original belonging to me.