This is not you mother’s ketchup and brown sugar topped meatloaf. This is a flavor packed cheesy meatloaf. I’ve had fails with meatloaf before that left me with a brick of dry beef but this recipe made such a juicy loaf that I doubt I’ll ever use a different one again. It is really hard to describe just how good this meatloaf was! I was able to prepare this ahead of time which was great as I had a busy afternoon planned with the kids. We got home in the late afternoon and all I needed to do was preheat the oven and cook this baby up. It does take an hour and 15 minutes to bake so be sure to allow yourself that time.
Serves: 1 loaf about 8 slices Calories: approximately 444/ slice Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 2 cups of finely chopped spinach
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- Adjust oven rack to the middle and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl mix together ground beef, spinach, bread crumbs, 1.5 cups of the mozzarella cheese, onion, garlic, eggs, salt and pepper. Mix well but do not over-mix as you run the chances of drying it out.
- Transfer this mixture to a loaf pan.
- Sprinkle remaining mozzarella over the top of the loaf.
- Make a tent over the pan with foil. Don’t let the foil touch the cheese on top of the loaf because it will just stick to the foil and peel off.
- Bake for 1 hour
- Remove loaf from the oven and take off foil.
- Place loaf back in the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
*Photo is an original belonging to me
*Recipe adapted from http://www.simplifylivelove.com