It is not much of a secret that we love buffalo chicken. We’ve done soup, egg rolls, pizza and now we can check meatloaf off the list. My favorite thing about this loaf was not only how juicy it was but also how the tangy the top layer of sauce paired with the creamy and sharp Gorgonzola cheese. This is a rich loaf with TONS of flavor, and heat. It was super easy to throw together but bear in mind that it does take an hour to cook. It isn’t really a thirty minute meal, and that is because of cook time.
Serves: 8 Calories: 240 per serving Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 1.5 lbs of chicken (get 2 lbs and save half of a lb for tacos later in the week!)
- 1 cup Italian Bread Crumbs
- 2/3 cup of celery, sliced
- 1/3 cup Gorgonzola crumbles
- 1 small white onion, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup of milk, we used 1%
- 1/2 cup of hot sauce, this is where you choose your adventure and tailor the heat to your tastes. We went with the hottest
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- ¼ tsp dried dill weed
- Black pepper to taste
For the topping:
- 3 tbsp hot sauce
- 2+ tbsp Gorgonzola
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside. We have a really cool pan that drips fat to the bottom. If you can get your hands on one I would definitely recommend it.
- In a large bowl mix ground chicken, bread crumbs, celery, Gorgonzola and onion.
- In a smaller bowl whisk milk, hot sauce, egg, salt, garlic powder, parsley, dill and pepper.
- Pour wet ingredients into chicken mixture and mix until combined. It will feel pretty “wet” but don’t worry because this is what makes it so juicy!
- Press mixture into a prepared pan.
- Brush with remaining 3 tbsp hot sauce and bake for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle with additional Gorgonzola cheese and continue to cook until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
*Photo is original belonging to me
*Recipe adapted from http://www.motherthyme.com