This past Easter my sister-in-law hosted a beautiful brunch for the family. I volunteered to step out of my comfort zone and bake. When I say I can’t bake I mean that I cannot even slice and bake a Pillsbury cookie roll. So, when I saw the millions of recipes on pintrest I took on the challenge and whipped up some gooey and delicious lemon blueberry sweet rolls. These were a hit! I will admit that the process was time-consuming and my anxiety levels were high (because I ruin everything I bake), but I pulled it off. I know it sounds cliché but if I can do it anyone can. I would describe the taste as sweet and fresh. The blueberries explode in your mouth as you chew and the lemon glaze adds a creamy yet tangy bite to a perfect finish
Calories: 206 per roll
Time: Prep and rise time: up to 3 hours 20 minutes ; Baking time: 30 minutes – Total time approx 4 hours
Ingredients for Dough:
- 2 + 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 packet of instant yeast
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 2 + 1/2 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 1 large egg, room temperature
Ingredients for Blueberry Filling:
- 1 + 1/3 cups of frozen blueberries, must be frozen
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
Ingredients for Lemon Glaze:
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
Directions : SAVE YOURSELVES FROM PANIC AND MAKE SURE BLUEBERRIES ARE FROZEN, BUTTER IS UNSALTED AND THE EGG IS AT ROOM TEMPERATURE.
- Combine the ingredients for the filling. Gently toss to coat and let sit while preparing the dough.
- Begin preparing the dough. Measure out 1/2 cup of flour and set aside. In a large bowl combine the remaining flour, sugar, salt and yeast until evenly dispersed. Set aside.
- Heat the water, milk and butter together in the microwave in 30 second intervals until the butter is melted and the mixture is hot to the touch. Stir this mixture into the flour mixture. Add the egg, don’t forget this egg must be at room temperature, and only enough of the reserved 1/2 cup of flour to make a soft dough. You will know the dough is ready when it gently pulls away from the bowl and has an elastic consistency.
- On a lightly floured surface knead the dough for 5 minutes. Place dough ball into a clean and lightly greased bowl. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes as passed, roll the dough out in a 14×8 inch rectangle. Pour the blueberry filling mixture over the dough and gently spread the filling to cover the dough. Spritz your fingers with nonstick spray and roll up the dough tightly. Cut into 12 pieces and place into a lightly greased pan (I used a rectangular aluminum pan so I could take it to my sister-in-law’s house but). Cover the pan with foil and allow to rise in a warm place for 2-3 hours.
- Once the rolls have doubled in size preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake rolls for 20-30 minutes, until golden brown on top.
- Prepare the glaze by mixing the glaze ingredients together until smooth.
- Glaze the rolls immediately before serving.
*Photo is an original belonging to me
*Recipe adapted from sallysbakingaddiction.com