We don’t eat enough vegetables. There, I said it! I am a glutton for carbs and we have really been slacking in the vegetable section of the food pyramid. To change that we are doing chopped salads for dinner a few nights a week. Not only is this giving us the nutrients we are lacking but it is also SO easy to make. Dressing up a salad (with good nutritious things) really makes a difference, and makes it much less daunting to eat “just a salad.” Today I give you a great summer chopped salad that not only filled my tummy but tasted amazing. Who knew it could be so tasty getting your five a day 🙂 Perry gave this one five stars and this is why:
“I am a carnivore. I enjoy meaty meals. Kelsey came at me with this “let’s eat salad” full force and, lets just say, I was not thrilled one bit. When I am told that I’m getting salad for dinner I think about a house salad you usually get with the main course. I should have known Kelsey had more up her sleeves. This salad is not your typical house salad. I will admit that the color of the dressing threw me off at first but when I took a bite my opinion completely changed. The dressing is sweet, tangy and savory if you can believe it. The salad itself was all about the toppings. The strawberries, I assume, are standard but the cheese and bacon…. They bring this salad to a new level! There is a lot of texture and flavor going on. I was left satisfied all around and give 5 stars. “
Serves: 6 Calories: 375 Time: 15-20 minutes
Ingredients for Salad:
- 8 cups chopped hearts of romaine, or any other lettuce you love
- 2 cups of fresh strawberries, halved
- 8 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese, we used the reduced fat option
- sprinkling of dressing
Ingredients for Dressing:
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 tsp diced red onion
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup strawberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp poppyseeds
- Place all dressing ingredients except the poppyseeds in a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth. Once combined stir in poppyseeds.
- Place a bed of lettuce on plate and top with strawberries, bacon crumbles, onion and feta cheese.
- Drizzle salad dressing over the plate.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Photos are original belonging to me
*Recipe adapted from http://lecremedelacrumb.com