Perry is normally the one on breakfast duty when we want more than cereal and toaster waffles, but when he isn’t around I sometimes venture into the kitchen to try new breakfast items with Chance. Chance has recently taken to eating ground beef tacos so I thought I might be able to get him to eat eggs if I made them “taco-style.” We hit the jackpot here people! The first time I made these Chance scarfed down two and asked for two more. We usually have a surplus of eggs in our fridge which is super convenient so just to be stocked I keep tortillas and taco seasoning on hand too. These are super easy to make, and you can even get your little ones involved with the assembly of toppings. Chance provided the rating for these, which he gave 5 stars.
Chance: “Mom where are the little brown pieces?”
Me: “Those are only in the tacos you have for dinner these are breakfast tacos so they are a little different.”
Chance takes a little bite.
Me: “What do you think?”
Chance: “Mom! This is licious’!” (he stuffs both tacos in his mouth) “Can I have more?”
Makes: 4 tacos Calories: 152/ 2 tacos Time: 15 minutes
- 4 small corn tortillas, we get “super soft white corn tortillas” because they have no cholesterol
- 2 tbsp canola oil, you could use vegetable too but we use canola that has no cholesterol
- 2 eggs, beaten (yes, I know eggs are crap for cholesterol)
- 1/2 tsp reduced sodium taco seasoning
- various taco toppings such as cheese, cilantro, sauce, salsa etc… (bear in mind this will add extra calories if you’re counting calories)
- Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add canola oil
- When the oil is hot add the tortillas one at a time and cook for about 30-45 seconds on both sides. Set aside. *NOTE: I usually set a piece of paper towel between the tortillas once they come out of the pan in order to mop up excess oil.*
- After all the tortillas are cooked dispose of any excess oil that may be left in the pan (do not rinse). Pour the beaten eggs into the same pan and scramble until cooked.
- Once the eggs are cooked through sprinkle the taco seasoning over them and shuffle the eggs around the pan until the seasoning is evenly distributed.
- Scoop the eggs onto each of the tortillas and top with your favorite taco extras.
*Photo and recipe are originals of my own. Please feel free to share this recipe but if you post it on another blog please give credit where it is due.