I take pride in trying to feed my family healthy dinners, but I seriously need to up the ante on how often we eat veggies. That being said, I am trying to include one dinner a week that is 100% veggie based. The problem with this is that there are not many recipes out there that take a vegetable and stick to some sort of nutritional value AND pack in some flavor. All the recipes that look good are either smothered in a brown sugar glaze or have so much salt I would end up a bloated mess for about a week. This recipe surfaced from a google search that led me to www.gonnawantseconds.com, a beautiful recipe site that had me salivating by the time I was done looking through all the yummy meals. This recipe is a dream because it so easy to make and the asparagus tips literally melt in your mouth. You start by making a garlic and herb infused oil that I would probably drink if I knew no one would judge me for it. I think this oil would go great on roasted green beans, brussel sprouts, or basically any savory veggie you can get your hands on. I know that is what I plan to do to keep this veggie train in motion. The feta is an awesome creamy touch that Perry really enjoyed. He gave 5 stars and here is why:
” This one did not disappoint. The asparagus had a”melt in your mouth” texture at the tips but kept a tender/crisp texture towards the bottom. My favorite part was the feta. The crumbles that fell on the pan came out melted but when it cooled they were like parmesan crisps. I would describe the flavor as refreshing because it has a nice light lemony taste. I give it five stars”
Serves: 4-6 Calories: 157 per serving Time: 45
- 2 lbs fresh asparagus, washed and woody roots trimmed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 14 cloves of garlic, minced (original recipe only calls for 6 but I love garlic… Don’t judge me….)
- 1.5 tsp lemon zest
- 1.5 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta (I used sun-dried tomato and herb feta because… why not?)
- 1 lemon
- Start by prepping your ingredients. If you’re using 14 cloves of garlic, which I totally recommend, this could take a few extra minutes.
- In a saucepan heat oil, garlic, lemon zest, oregano, and pepper flakes over low heat stirring occasionally until garlic starts to turn a golden brown (approx.. 5 minutes). Remove the saucepan from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a large mixing bowl toss the asparagus with garlic and herb oil.
- Lay the asparagus in a single layer on baking sheet. Top with oil left in the mixing bowl and 1/2 cup of feta.
- Roast for approximately 15 minutes. Remove and spritz with lemon juice.
- Serve immediately
*Original recipe found at http://www.gonnawantseconds.com/
*Photo is an original belonging to me