My mom has made a name for herself in the hot pepper realm with her garden grown habaneros, jalapeños, and thin-n-hots. This has spoiled my husband who loves all things spicy and now gauges meals on just how hot he can make them… Being pregnant I’ve shied away from the “40 habanero hot sauce” and “peach habanero ketchup.” Seriously, you could only get me to eat a hot pepper now-a-days smothered in cheese and bacon. That is where the inspiration started for this pizza. There is some serious heat in this recipe but it is tamed considerably with a cream cheese/ monterey jack cheese base. Those of us who are not pregnant can tame the heat even more with a bleu cheese dressing drizzle, adding an insane amount of flavor. This pizza is really savory and hit the spot with a thin crunchy crust. This was a new crust recipe because I forgot to buy yeast at the store. It’s not my favorite pizza dough but with all the flavor the toppings provided it was not an issue. Perry gave five stars and this is why:
“If there is one thing I love about food it is having the ability to spice it up. Usually when Kelsey says something is spicy, it’s really not that hot. I was prepared with my mother-in-law’s hot sauce to add more heat to this pizza but this was one of those rare times that I had to agree with Kelsey. The spice is perfect and I think adding any more would ruin the rich bacon flavor. I’m giving this pizza five stars because it is really delicious and I think the ingredients work very well with each other blending to make a perfect savory pizza.”
*NOTE: The nutritional values provided below include the homemade crust. These values as well as cooking time will vary depending on if you hand roll your own pizza dough or purchase a pre-made crust.
Makes: 2 Pizzas/16 slices Calories: 306.78 per slice Carbs: 26.25 per slice WW PointsPlus Value: 8 points per slice
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes TOTAL TIME: 45 minutes
- 4 cups of all purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 + 1/3 cups of water
- 1 pkg of bacon, I used the low sodium stuff
- 2 jalapeños, sliced
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 bar of cream cheese softened
- 2 cup bag of shredded monterrey jack cheese.
- Preheat oven to 425
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, olive oil, and 1 + 1/3 cups of water. Mix until smooth. You may need to use your hands to knead it together towards the end of mixing.
- Divide the dough into two balls and roll them out onto separate greased baking sheets.
- Poke holes into the rolled out dough to avoid bubbling.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cooked through. You will be putting them back into the oven to melt the cheeses so you don’t want it to be too “browned”
- While the crust is baking cook up the bacon until nice and crisp. Transfer bacon to a plate and when cooled crumble.
- Spread half of the cream cheese over each of the pizza pies. (one half per pie.. Using the entire bar of cream cheese)
- Sprinkle half of the shredded monterrey jack cheese over each of the pies. (one half of the bag per pie.. Using the entire bag of cheese.
- Spread the sliced shallots and jalapeños over the pies and top with the crumbled bacon.
- Bake again until cheese begins to bubble, approximately 5-8 minutes.
- If you want to drizzle bleu cheese dressing do it now. Cut into slices and enjoy!
*Photo is an original belonging to me