I came across this recipe on pintrest which took me to Cheap Recipe Blog. Haley, the creator, has an amazing site and my stomach started to growl as soon as I started browsing. Please take my advice and check out her recipes because, my gosh, they ALL look amazing (I should note that I make no profit on this blog and Haley did not ask me to say any of this. It is my sincerest opinion). Tomato soup and grilled cheese is total comfort food where I am from, and seriously I don’t think there could be a better pair. This soup is not your ordinary Campbell’s condensed tomato soup. Now that I know how easy this is to make I’ll never go back. Perry gave 5 stars and this is why:
“Tonight’s soup was so was creamy and rich. I would describe the overall flavor as savory sweet. The tomato, onion and garlic chunks make it thick and filling. My favorite part was the grilled cheese that practically melted into the soup. Five stars!”
Serves: 8+ Calories: 141/serving of soup + 173 if you use half of a grilled cheese for croutons Time: Approximately 40 minutes
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (28 oz) cans of whole plum tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (this is essential don’t skip it!)
- 1 can chicken broth
- 3/4 cup half-and-half or whole milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Salt, pepper, paprika, parsley, basil and garlic powder, to taste
- If doing the grilled cheese croutons you’ll need bread, butter and shredded cheese of your choice to do so
- In a large saucepan, sauté onions in olive oil until the begin to become translucent. Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Crush the whole tomatoes and add them (with the left over juice) to the pan, after the tomato mixture warms, add baking soda and stir well. It will froth but do not worry that just means it is doing it’s job.
- Add chicken broth, half-and-half, and sugar, and mix well.
- Add spices and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While soup is settling cook up a grilled cheese and slice into bite sized squares. Use half of the grilled cheese croutons per bowl of soup.
- Dish and enjoy!
*Original recipe found at http://www.cheaprecipeblog.com
*Photo is an original belonging to me