Every time we go food shopping and pass frozen pot stickers I think “those would be fun to try and make at home.” I’ve literally been thinking about it for months and finally mustered up the courage to give it a try. These are pretty easy to make and taste phenomenal. I had some extra sweet chili sauce on hand in case the recipe was a bust but we didn’t need it since the flavor was just right. The most time consuming part was constructing all the little dumplings, so if you have kids that like to help in the kitchen this might be a great way to get them involved. Perry gave this one full stars and here is why:
“These will make your kitchen smell so good. The end result was awesome. The bottoms were crunchy but the rest was a nice soft steamed dumpling. The flavor was spot on and we didn’t even have to use any extra sauce. Actually, using extra sauce would take away from the great flavor. We had these for a few days and they reheat really good. I’ll be requesting them again fairly soon.”
Makes: 24 potstickers Calories: 45/potsticker Time: approx. 45minutes-1hr
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger root, minced
- 2-3 stalks of lemongrass, finely minced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 4 tsp soy sauce
- 3-4 tsp chili sauce (depending on your taste)
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 pkg round pot sticker wrappers (24 wrappers)
- 2 tbsp cooking oil, divided
- In a large bowl mix together the chicken, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, bell pepper, green onions, sesame oil, soy sauce, chili sauce, and salt.
- Scoop 1/2 tbsp of the chicken mixture in the center of a pot sticker wrapper. With a moist finger, wet the outer edge of the wrapper. Fold the wrapper in half and pinch the top of the pocket to seal. Working from the two ends inwards, create folds and seal eliminating air pockets as you go.
- Repeat with the remaining wrappers.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large skillet. When oil is hot add your pot stickers leaving room between each one. Fry until the bottoms start to brown. Add 1/2 cup of water to the skillet and immediately cover with a lid. (you may want to use an oven mitten when doing this because the hot oil will pop and burn your skin if you aren’t fast enough). Let the pot stickers steam for about 10 minutes. Once they are cooked through remove the lid and continue to cook until all the water has been evaporated from the pan.
- Do this process once more with the second batch
- Serve with sauce and/or hot sake and enjoy!
*Photo is an original belonging to me
**Original recipe was found at http://www.picturetherecipe.com