I barely make breakfast and thought since I’ve been making great dinners maybe I should try out some breakfast recipes. I wanted something low cal that my son would also eat so with extensive google searching I came across healthy scone recipes. My son doesn’t do nuts so anything walnut/pecan was out. Finally I came to the blueberry lemon scone and it was like magic haha. I couldn’t wait to make these so I woke up early and got baking. The dough was so soft when scooping onto my baking sheet that I knew these scones were going to be extremely moist. The glaze is just enough tangy sweet to make this recipe an absolutely wonderful morning treat. Perry had already left for work this morning when I made them so I will give the star rating for this recipe. 5 stars and here is why:
“Not only does my apartment smell amazing but also my son thinks he just had cake for breakfast. With this being a low cal recipe I was worried that the scones would lack taste and be hard as a rock, but I was pleasantly surprised when I bit into a soft and fluffy middle. I’m used to scones being super dense but these are very different. I love how light they taste with just enough sugary glaze. Seriously these babies are 100% guilt free. I can’t wait for Perry to get home and try one. He has no confidence that I can make breakfast or bake for that matter haha!”
Serves: 14 Calories: 158
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest, divided (1 tsp for dough 1/2 tsp for glaze)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup (8oz) lemon yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (we had some in our freezer for smoothies so that is what we used. I’m sure this will be even better with fresh blueberries)
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, 1 tsp grated lemon zest, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl combine yogurt, egg and butter. Stir into bowl of flour mixture until smooth.
- Fold in the blueberries
- Drop heaping tablespoonfuls approximately 2 inches apart onto a greased baking sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Mix powdered sugar, lemon juice and the remaining lemon zest until smooth. Drizzle over warm scones
*Photo is an original belonging to me
**Original recipe found at http://www.tasteofhome.com