I’ve been getting into baking chicken as opposed to pan frying lately. I swear I will never EVER properly cook chicken in a pan. It is always dry and gross when I do so I’m throwing in the towel and sticking to my oven. Between this recipe, the rosemary walnut recipe, and the Moroccan chicken recipe I’m set in the chicken department 🙂 This one is especially good because of the tropical salsa that it’s been paired with. I’ve had this recipe written on an index card for years now and finally decided to give it a go. I’m sad I had not tried it sooner. Perry LOVES it and gave it a full five-star rating. Here are his thoughts:
” I’m always a little scared when Kelsey makes chicken because she tends to overcook it. I really like these baked recipes because they are crunchy and juicy inside. Kelsey has been really pulling it off, and I have to admit that this is one of my favorite chicken dinners that she makes. I thought the coconut would be too sweet but I’ve been informed she used unsweetened coconut flakes giving it a nutty taste without tasting too fruity. The salsa was a treat too with juicy pineapple and sweet corn. It is a great match.”
Serves: 4 Calories: 479
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups of corn flakes, coarsely crushed
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 lb chicken tenders, rinsed and trimmed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- 1 cup corn kernels, thawed if frozen
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed seeded and diced
- 1 scallion thinly sliced
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp canola oil
- Cooking spray
- Remove upper oven rack and preheat oven to 425
- Spray oven rack with cooking spray and set aside
- Crack egg into shallow dish and beat lightly.
- Combine corn flakes and coconut in another shallow dish.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dip chicken in egg and dredge in corn flake mixture.
- Arrange chicken on oven rack and bake until golden brown/cooked through (approximately 10-12 minutes)
- Toss together pineapple, corn, bell pepper, scallion, lime, oil, salt/pepper in a large bowl.
- Serve chicken with salsa and enjoy!
*Photo is an original taken by me