This soup was really hearty and good. I was a little unsure of it at first because the recipe sounded like there was too much going on within the dish. I was surprised how good it ended up being but I definitely think I overdid it on the spinach and will cut back just a bit on that next time. This recipe came from The Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes
Serves: 6 Calories: 245
– 1/2 cup of dry lentils
– 2 cups of coarsely shredded carrots
– 1 large onion, finely chopped
– 4 oz. chopped cook ham or canadian style bacon
– 2 cloves of garlic
– 2 tbsp fresh basil (I RECOMMEND FRESH) or 2 tsp dried basil.
– 1.5 tbsp fresh thyme (ALSO RECOMMENDED) or 1.5 tsp dried thyme.
– 1/4 tsp pepper
– 5 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
– 1 cup of water
– 1-9-oz package of refrigerated cheese filled tortellini (We get the whole wheat ones.)
– 4 cups of torn fresh spinach, rinsed
1.) Rinse and drain lentils. Place lentils in your slow cooker.
2.) Add the carrots, onion, ham, garlic, basil, thyme and pepper.
3.) Pour broth and water into cooker.
4.) Cover and cook on low for 6.5-7 hours OR on high for 3.25-3.5 hours.
5.) if you are cooking on the low setting turn heat up to high and add tortellini to cook for an additional 30 minutes. If you are cooking on high heat add tortellini 20 minutes before cooking time is up.
6.) To serve stir in spinach and if you want some extra basil and thyme.