California weather is so weird to me. It’s now November and last week our temperatures were in the high 80’s. I’m dying to be back east watching the seasons change and sipping hot soup on cold (sometimes wet) winter nights. I was pretty excited when it rained yesterday and I had all the fixings for chicken tortilla soup. It really hit the spot and made me feel like I was home. Instead of cutting up tortillas I used Masa Flour and it made mini tortilla like dumplings which were a fantastic touch. I still crunched tortilla chips on top though 🙂
Serves: 8-10 Calories: 381.5
– 1 cup of diced carrots
– 1 cup of sliced celery
– 1 medium chopped onion
– 2 tsp minced garlic
– 1/8 tsp salt
– 1/4 tsp pepper
– 2 tsp cooking oil (I used canola)
– 4 15-oz cans of reduced sodium chicken broth
– 1 15-ox can of diced tomatoes (I used fire roasted)
– 1 10-oz can of Rotel tomatoes and chilis (Rotel is actually the brand not the type of tomato… hard lesson learned haha)
– 1 packet of taco seasoning (I found reduced sodium and used that)
– 1 cup of Masa Harina (Masa flour.. can be found in hispanic food aisle. Get the biggest one they have so you can make enchiladas also 🙂 I’ll put that recipe up next week)
– 12 ounces of chicken
– 1 cup of milk
– 12 ounces of mexican cheese blend
– Bag of tortilla chips to crumble on top
1.) Saute carrots, onion, celery, garlic, salt, and pepper in the cooking oil until tender.
2.) Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
3.) Add tomatos, rotel. taco seasoning, and chicken.
4.) Add Masa Flour and cook for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally. (Don’t worry if your Masa Flour clumps up. Just don’t let the clumps be too big. Make them mini dumplings so you can share the love with the rest of the soup 🙂 )
5.) Reduce heat and add 8 oz of cheese. Simmer for 10 minutes
6.) Add milk and simmer 10 minutes more.
7.) Garnish with crushed tortilla chips and cheese (optional.. I found the soup to have enough cheese in it so I didn’t garnish with the cheese)
*Original recipe found at http://www.food.com
**Photo is an original taken by me