Last night we had a couple of friends over for an early dinner. I decided that they would be my guinea pigs and taste a new recipe. This dish was a hit and the best part was that they had no idea they were eating hearty vegetables. My husband, the avid cauliflower hater, licked his plate clean and was shocked when I told him that he just ate a serving of cauliflower. What’s more shocking was his response saying “And I’d do it all over again!” Even our 16 month old son cleaned his plate. I’m sure this would be awesome for left overs but the problem is that it is so good that I can almost guarantee it will be gone in one night.
***As always remember when cooking raw meat to be careful about cross contamination. It is very easy to get someone sick by not sanitizing the utensils used to handle raw meat (including your hands.) You want to enjoy your food, not spew it. Wash your hands and kitchen tools!***
Serves: 8 Carbs: 530 per serving
Ingredients for Chicken Seasoning (You can buy Montreal seasoning in the store or make it with seasonings you already have like I did.):
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp coarsely ground coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp coarse salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp black pepper
Ingredients for Dish:
- 1 pkg whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- chicken seasoning
- cooking spray
- 2 tbsp olive or canola oil
- 1 cup yellow squash, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped (TIP:I chop onions with sunglasses on and oven fan on high to avoid tearing up)
- 1 cup of cauliflower, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 jar of store bought Alfredo sauce (Vicky Bryant gave us a great tip to make this dish even more healthy. Make your own Alfredo! I have never tried it but when I do I will update this post to include the recipe and directions. Stay tuned!)
- Parmesan cheese (to coat top)
- Breadcrumbs (to coat top)
- Move oven rack to top, preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray 13 X 9in dish with cooking spray.
- Boil a large pot of water to cook spaghetti.
- Trim and dice chicken
- Coat a large skillet with cooking oil. Season chicken and cook until it starts to blacken. Set chicken aside.*** If you make your own seasoning with the recipe above be aware that you will have some left over. Do not feel like you need to use the whole batch of seasoning b/c that will just make it REALLY spicy and unless you like that it will ruin the recipe. Save what is left over for the next time you make the meal***
- Place chopped cauliflower in a microwavable dish, add 2 tbsp of water. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 4 minutes on high.***The dish will be EXTREMELY hot. Please take precaution when removing dish from microwave***
- In the same skillet you cooked the chicken in add 1 tbsp of oil and saute the onion until it clear. Add squash and cook until soft. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chicken to casserole dish with all the vegetables. Pour Alfredo sauce over the chicken and veggies. Top with Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs. Don’t go too crazy with the cheese because the sauce is pretty rich by itself.
- By this time your water should be boiling. Cook pasta while dish is baking.
- Put dish on top rack in your oven. Bake for 20 minutes and then broil for about 10 minutes until top is browned. Keep an eye on the dish while broiling because the only thing you want blackened in this recipe is the chicken 🙂
- Strain pasta and toss with the remaining 1 tbsp of oil.
- Dish pasta onto plates and top with the blackened chicken alfredo bake.
- Indulge 🙂
This is the face of a happy eater :
**All photos are originals taken by me**